Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Socci at Renaissance Hotel: Part Two

I'm usually not the type of girl that will hype stuff but TripAdvisor.com is a great site for food recommendations. Through the website I found my absolute favorite restaurant in Memphis - Erling Jensen. I found another gem when I went back home in Arlington, VA - Socci. Socci is an Italian restaurant at the modern and classic Renaissance Hotel. Definitely did not imagine the restaurant to look this amazing. Not only am I huge on finding great eats but also great decor. Socci was a perfect combination of both. 

Simple menu with classic Italian dishes
Steamed Mussels - garlic, herbs, italian sausage, grilled country loaf ($9)
Beautiful presentation and great flavor. If there was one recommendation to this dish, go easy on the salt. 
Fresh Burrata - fresh italian cheese made from mozzarella and cream with a "buttery" texture cracked black pepper, extra virgin olive oil with arugula pesto ($9)
I've recently come across this cheese and wanted to try it, badly. I'm lactose intolerant but I still LOVE cheese. The arugula pesto was good but it lacked it natural lemony, peppery, bitterness. I enjoy arugula for all those qualities but it did not shine in this dish. The cheese was magnificent. Perfectly soft with a gooey and creamy center. It paired well with the grilled toast. Light but flavorful. 
Roasted Mcdowell Forest Mushroom Pizza - slow garlic, pecorino ($12)
I must admit I'm a pizza snob. That crust better be airy and crusty, that dough better be soft and chewy, and that cheese better be scrumptious and stringy. This pizza had all my "better be's". Growing up I loathed mushrooms for it texture but loved its aroma. I've gotten over the texture aspect and love them. They add such a rich and earthy depth to this dish. This pizza was dog on good!
Seafood Pasta - calamari, shrimp, fresh fettuccini, white wine, smoked mussels, garlic, herbs ($14)
I'd rate this dish as a 6. The pasta texture was good but as you can see it was choppy. The seafood was fresh but the smoked mussels were grotesque. The garlic overpowered this dish and the sauce started separating. I'm a lover for all kinds of pasta but this dish didn't win me over. 

The coolest check booklet. The center lights up!
Bar Lounge seats
Table at the entrance. Stunning, I'd love to have my next dinner here.  
 Ashley and I awkwardly posing for the camera. 
 Private dining room, beautiful!
 Reunion after so many years :)

 Magnificent light fixture.

Art sculpture that moved in three different areas
Overall a great experience with Ashley. Great food, presentation and price. Beautiful interior design. 

No comments:

Post a Comment